Friday, February 1, 2008

Hong Kong's Special Cuisine




This was served for our lunch two days ago. Pretty exciting. Dan, a guy I work with is like, why do people insist on shaping food to look like the animal is started out as. It is easier to eat if you can’t tell what it used to be. I have to say I agree with this one. Some things, although they don’t taste too bad, to mental image is really hard to get past. For lunch today we had jellyfish and octopus. When I say we, I mean everyone else. I didn’t eat this. I just couldn’t. Apparently it tasted pretty ok, but the look and taste was quite difficult to work out in your head.




Anyway, just to clarify, Hong Kongers (yes that’s what they are called) don’t eat the head. Apparently you can eat the comb but no one really does that. They are bigger on the chicken feet instead. I asked Amy, who is from Hong Kong, if she likes chicken feet and she said not in this sauce (pictured below) but she does in a different sauce. I say, are you kidding me, the sauce makes the difference while chewing on chicken legs and toes. In case any of you are wondering, you don't actually eat the bones. Really you just chew off the skin. As a side note, I have noticed I have used the word "chewy" to best describe some of the things we have had "opportunity" to eat. Use you imagination on that one. Bon Apatite.

3 comments:

Matty said...

I have heard that chicken feet look almost exactly like baby fingers and I think that's what would be the issue for me. Really as a parent, if you can eat baby fingers, you have issues.

Anonymous said...

Chewy! Love it. Let's think of this the other way. Maybe they look like baby fingers cooked...but I think if you have a baby whose fingers look like chicken feet you definitely have issues!

Anonymous said...

A lot of cheese and dab of chili con carne and this little dish would be delicious!...or is that "cheese" on top already?